Conservation - Current Projects

A beautiful day for scheduling our stone repairs at Leeds Castle, Kent #conservation #restoration #kent #stone #survey

A bright, but very cold morning at Pevensey Castle. Phase I works coming to an end shortly #conservation #restoration #pevensey #castle #roman #mortar

Surveying failed stone tracery to a church in Bray, Berkshire. Our repair will follow shortly #conservation #restoration #stone #survey #church #bray #berkshire

Load More...

PAYE Conservation can be involved in numerous projects at any one time. These can often vary in both scale and complexity. On this page you will find a selection of our current projects that reflect that variety… Click on a link below for the full detail of a case study, or simply read a precis of a select few on the right

More Current Projects…

Eton College, School Yard The school was founded in 1440 by Henry VI with the aim of producing undergraduates for Kings College, Cambridge. The central quadrangle between school buildings and chapel is known as the ‘School Yard’ which is failing and requires major stone and brick conservation.

Windsor Castle, North Terrace PAYE’s work has included conservation of the limestone gargoyles that feature at high level, reinstatement of flint galleting and some much needed repairs to both stone weatherings and lime pointing.

Hatfield House, sculpture Specialist conservation works are currently being undertaken to the bronze seated statue of Robert Arthur Talbot, Third Marquess of Salisbury and three times Prime Minister of Great Britain.

The Royal Ballet School, White Lodge, Richmond

Richmond New Park Lodge was built in the Palladian style which draws on the classical architecture of Rome and Ancient Greece. It remained a Royal property for centuries, being home to many members of The Royal Family and several Prime Ministers until in 1925 it was passed to The Crown Estate to be leased. Since 1955, it has been occupied by The Sadler’s Wells Ballet Company, is home to it’s junior school and now gives the building the title of The Royal Ballet School.

Completed in 1730, it is constructed from Hildenley limestone, which was extracted from a series of small quarries in North Yorkshire. As is the case with so many buildings, The White Lodge (renamed 40 or so years after it was built, due to the striking colour of the limestone) has been repaired numerous times. Sadly, the fashion for using cement as a repair medium from the mid-19th Century onwards has led to much exacerbated damage, which as a result often needs removal and replacement. Hildenley limestone is no longer quarried and so a suitable matching limestone needed to be sourced.

The majority of works completed in this contract related to the removal and replacement of previous repairs and the making good of losses suffered. Mouldings which form weatherings are not best repaired in lime mortar and so where these are missing or have failed, a stone indent was completed matching the adjacent profiles

Some cautious stone conservation has been undertaken to the delicate floral patera which sit between each modillion under the cornice. This fragile stone was exhibiting hairline cracks and so was consolidated with a lime grout and then micro pinned using fine gauge stainless steel. As a secondary precaution localised invisible netting was also installed to minimise any safety risk.

We are now in negotiation for Phase II works, which are set to continue in 2019.

The London Temple of Mithras Update January 2018

Request a free electronic copy of our book ‘Mithras – Reconstruction of a Roman Temple’

Following the successful completion of the Mithras project and the recently well-received public opening, PAYE felt it important to document the processes undertaken in relation to this unusual and complex story. To download an electronic copy of the PAYE published book produced on The London Temple of Mithras, please simply click here and fill out some basic details (so we know who you are).

Access to visit the Temple is free to all, but bookings must be completed in advance via www.londonmithraeum.com

HMS Victory

MS Victory is best known as Admiral Lord Nelson’s flagship which sailed during the Battle of Trafalgar in 1805. It was actually first launched in 1765 and sailed for many years before being finally docked at No.2 Dock, Portsmouth in 1922. ‘She’ still officially remains a flagship of the First Sea Lord (the professional head of the UK’s Royal Navy and the whole Naval Service) and is technically the world’s oldest naval ship still in commission.

PAYE Conservation are specifically involved in a programme to stabilise the progressive adverse movement of HMS Victory’s hull. When dry docked in Portsmouth, the ship was supported on 11 steel cradles and a large concrete keel plinth. The ship itself weighs over 2000 tonnes in solid Oak and Teak, and hasn’t been moved arrival. The existing steel cradles are spaced at equal distances along the length of the hull, with no consideration given to their alignment to the ships internal structure and so consequently, over time, the hull has slowly sagged between the support cradles.

The newly devised design will allow for the ships load to be shared between the keel and a more sympathetic support system. This will see the keel carrying approximately 60% of the load, based on keel measurements and calculations of movement between the support cradles.

Phase 2 will see PAYE return in July 2017 for a further 12 months work, to remove the 22 concrete pads in stages under the ships support system. This is needed to allow for a newly devised system comprised of x134 stainless steel props to be installed in structural locations around the ship. The new supports will aim to maintain the shape and stability of the structure, emulating the way it would be held if submerged in water. As the old support cradles are removed, PAYE will evaluate the condition of the stonework beneath and carry out any necessary conservation and restoration before the new props are installed.

The Royal Academy/Burlington House

Burlington House is a Grade II* listed Italianate building designed by Sir James Pennethorne as headquarters for the University of London. The Royal Academy took over the main block of Burlington House in 1867 on a 999-year lease.

PAYE were commissioned initially to complete restoration works to the stone façade and repaving elements in the Burlington House section of the site. The façade works undertaken included some delicate conservation to both architectural detail and about a dozen standing figurative sculptures of great artists and architects. Cleaning techniques including the use of nebulus spray and both Doff and Jos.

On the completion of cleaning a full inspection could be undertaken and a schedule of repairs devised. These repairs included mortar repair to areas which were either damaged or lost and stone replacement to include both ashlar indents and carved elements all executed in situ. This project is set to run over a 64 week programme with completion planned for early 2018.

The Royal Academy/Burlington House

Burlington House is a Grade II* listed Italianate building designed by Sir James Pennethorne as headquarters for the University of London. The Royal Academy took over the main block of Burlington House in 1867 on a 999-year lease.

PAYE were commissioned initially to complete restoration works to the stone façade and repaving elements in the Burlington House section of the site. The façade works undertaken included some delicate conservation to both architectural detail and about a dozen standing figurative sculptures of great artists and architects. Cleaning techniques including the use of nebulus spray and both Doff and Jos.

On the completion of cleaning a full inspection could be undertaken and a schedule of repairs devised. These repairs included mortar repair to areas which were either damaged or lost and stone replacement to include both ashlar indents and carved elements all executed in situ. This project is set to run over a 64 week programme with completion planned for early 2018.

The South Terrace is possibly the most significant architectural detail on the Cliveden Estate and had fallen into poor, possibly even dangerous condition. The terrace is accessed via a symmetrical staircase with three flights of steps to either side of the central sounding chamber, thought to date from as early as the 1720’s. It underwent major reconstruction and alteration by Charles Barry during his wider restoration works in the 1850’s, but this had once again fallen into poor condition…