Church of St Alfege, Greenwich

Church of St Alfege, Greenwich

The Church of St Alfege, Greenwich is a Grade I listed building from the early 18th Century. It was designed by eminent architect Nicholas Hawksmoor and is perhaps one of the most iconic churches in London. Hawksmoor studied under Sir Christopher Wren, and St Alfege’s became one of the churches built under the Fifty Churches act of 1711.

St Alfege is one of just six Nicholas Hawksmoor churches in London and was built between 1712 and 1714 with funding from the Parliamentary act of 1711, generally referred to as The New Churches Act. The Churches Act set out to commission fifty new churches in the city and the surrounding boroughs. It fell significantly short of its proposed target with only 12 being fully funded and a further 5 partially funded. Hawksmoor was responsible for 8 of these, 6 in full and 2 more in collaboration.

Our scope of works comprises conservation repairs to the Portland stone facades on the North and South elevations of the Transept. There are requirements for replacement of the defective roof coverings to the both Transepts using code 7, Sand Cast lead and associated carpentry repairs to the main roof structure.

A key aim of the project is to adapt entry routes into the Church and make the building more accessible to the public. To achieve this, the church boundary will be re-landscaped to provide a more presentable and user-friendly main entrance into the North church yard. The many headstones which located throughout the North and South church yards will be carefully conserved and relocated to suit the new access layout.

Improve access to the site

Furthermore, the disabled access ramp to the South elevation will be redesigned and relocated on the North side of the Church. Access into the Church Crypt will also be improved to accommodate public visits and provide user friendly access and egress for the user.

Internal conservation works are included to the Church Gallery which comprise repair and redecoration of the lime plaster finishes to the gallery walls. Additionally there is scope to install toilet facilities and new primary & emergency lighting to access routes within the Nave, Tower entrance and North Transept.

This project is set to run over approximately 6 months, completing in Autumn 2019.

Newsletter Articles

  • CIOB
    2019 Conservation Conference PAYE are proud to announce that they are key sponsors of this year’s CIOB Conference entitled ‘Conservation, Adaptation & ...
  • Holborn Bars
    Holborn Bars is a Grade II* listed building in the borough of Camden on the boundary of the City of London. Construction started in 1878 under architect Alfred ...
  • Mathematical Tiles
    Mathematical tiles or ‘tyles’ are a building material used extensively in the South Eastern counties of England during the 18th and early 19th Centuries. They ...
  • Conservation Cleaning Decorative Stone Objects
    The methods and materials identified below form part of the armoury used in the conservation cleaning of historic objects. This could be, but is not exclusive ...