Conservation - 20th Century (1910-1999)

The 20th Century period 1910-1999

British architecture of the early twentieth century (in advance of the Great War) continued the architectural styling of the late-Victorian period. It wasn’t until after World War 1, that Britain embraced ‘Modernist architecture’, a style which had developed and evolved in Continental Europe. Modernism in its most general sense is a term that applies to all modern architecture of the twentieth century. A number of ‘modern’ styles emerged in the 1920s and 1930s in Europe, and spread across to Britain, being; Art Deco, Streamlined Moderne and the International Style, although there are many different modern styles. These styles are not distinct styles and they blur at the boundaries and represent something more like a spectrum that a set of distinct categories

Our Works related to this period…

PAYE pioneer new techniques for preserving later styles of architecture and understand that all buildings require conservation, not just those of traditionally ‘important’ time periods. Much of our work in this period is in relation to preventative works, surveying facades to understand the issues at play. We constantly look to better understand modern materials and in turn look to how we can preserve them

PAYE Completed Projects

Listed below are some Conservation Projects completed by PAYE Conservation.

Architectural Timeline

We’ve broken down ‘Conservation’ into time periods to make it easy to navigate around our website. Simply click a time period below to explore our approach to conservation within the various periods and view projects we’ve completed…

Featured Project – Battersea Power Station

Originally built in the 1930’s with just two wash towers to the design of Sir Giles Gilbert Scott, construction was funded by the London Power Company. The building is formed of brickwork around a steel girder frame and is the largest brick building in Europe. At the time this was described as a ‘temple of power’ and was seen to rank as a London landmark equal to that of St. Paul’s Cathedral. The Power Station was decommissioned between 1975 and 1983 and then up until 2014 was left abandoned, empty and unused. It gained Grade II listing in 1980 and both declared a heritage site and upgraded to II* in 2007.

PAYE’s contracted works are centred on the external package which revolve around the matching of the mortar, bricks (of which there are three – reflecting the differing periods the station was built) and the repair/replacement of the steel structure. Despite currently being the largest building site in London, the other major challenge is the limited amount of space on site – making for a logistical jigsaw puzzle.